Thursday, May 28, 2015

Vegans Concerns

In regards to Kidney Stones:
I’m not a doctor or anything, just a nerd that reads a good amount.
I found this blog that may hold some keys to your concern about kidney stones
“Although most vegan health experts will say that over-the-counter calcium is useless because the body doesn’t absorb it, the irony is that for vegans who suffer from kidney stones, this kind of calcium is exactly what they need. Taking a calcium carbonate supplement with meals gives the oxalate something to which it can bind, allowing it to pass harmlessly out of the system. Combining this approach with cutting down on the highest oxalate foods, should insure that kidney stones in vegans can be avoided. Additionally eating plant-based calcium-rich foods will insure that your teeth, bones and organs get the calcium they need.
Although the list of foods containing oxalate is extremely long, some of the worst offenders include chocolate, rhubarb, spinach, Swiss chard, beets and almonds.”
One guy went to a Vegan Doc and a Urologist and was disappointed because it may mean he couldn’t be fully vegan, the blogger responded:
“If I were you I would try cutting out the nuts - they are very high in oxalate - and using hemp seed, sprouts and legumes as your protein source. That’s pretty much all I do for protein and it works really well. I’ve recently been following the Eat to Live plan by Dr. Fuhrman. I find that it is the most nutritionally sound eating program I’ve ever come across. He talks about how nuts should be eaten only in small quantities and why, and explains why legumes work so well. One thing I learned about legumes is that they have something called resistant starch, which makes you feel full, but doesn’t really get absorbed by the body. I also sprout legumes, which provides a fabulous source of protein. Also, So Delicious makes a coconut milk drink (which doesn’t taste that coconutty) that is much lower in oxalate and can be a great substitute for almond or soy milk. Bottom line: Go get the Dr. Fuhrman book - Eat to Live. It will help you to create an eating plan that will give you all the benefits you’ve experienced, without the kidney stones. I really hope you get this worked out! :)”
This site here states that meat can increase the chance of kidney stones.
In regards to mental illness:
I don’t believe diet will CURE mental illness, but I honestly feel that therapy, healthy eating, and exercise can improve it. I personally wish I could exercise more but life happens. I haven’t stopped trying to make more time to do so. 
Exercise gets the happy chemicals circulating - I experienced the happy chemicals (endorphins) and between that, good friends, and therapy after divorce, I’m having less episodes of depression.
In regards to budget:
If you have farmers markets, they sell veggies cheap and you’re supporting local business.
Buy dried foods in bulk. I got a HUGE jar of sun-dried tomatoes that lasted me a month for 10.00 at Costco. I put that in lots of dishes because they’re tasty! I mooched my friend’s membership card. :B
To me, being vegan isn’t about being perfect, it’s about being conscious of how the choices you make effects other beings and the world around you. Try your genuine best and don’t beat yourself up if you can’t adhere to it perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment