Thursday, May 2, 2013

Keeping Wild Animals Wild - Birds

I believe that birds have wings and that it’s cruel to deprive them of flight. To deprive them of what is natural. To have them bred in small cages, in the heat, and stench of a large facility, with no social contact beyond a mate that may or may not like them. Birds having their babies taken away will try to produce more because they want little birdy families, just like in the wild.
They mirror humans in many ways, anyone who owns one, knows what I mean.
Intelligent, innocent creatures confined to such a life is cruel.

I thought to myself “I really don’t want to clip their wings, but after what happened to Elly, I want to keep them safe.” I feel like I’m depriving her somehow…

I don’t believe that we should up and launch our birds out the window. That’s insane. That will make them food, not free. Plus, invasive species is bad.

I believe injured animals, incapable of freedom are fine as being pets vs. putting them down.

After doing rescue as long as I have, you see the influx of neglected and abused birds, you would probably feel the same way.

Instead of spending 2000$ for a proper cockatoo set up, go see them in the wild. Support eco-tourism.

 Maybe if they had a form of licensing to own certain birds, and actually had people abiding by them (we all know people won’t) it would be better…

I know there’s people out there that take exceptional care of their birds. I fight to do so with my babies. I love them to no end and would do anything for their happiness.

I just think of the phrase “If you really love something, set it free” AGAIN don’t set your birds free, but let birds be free in their natural environments.

They are wild animals. Louie came from South America. Georgie was snatched from South America. Wild birds. The ban on import birds only happened in the 90’s

These aren’t domesticated animals like dogs and cats which took YEARS to become docile and loyal… and look at their plight! Look at that HSUS/ASPCA commercial. Do you want that for parrots? Because it happens to them too! These groups don’t do too much to help them..!
Parrots are awesome from the get-go because they have a drive to be social and form bonds. Some birds never desire to form these bonds with humans, so they live a life in solitude.

So I’m not sure exactly where I stand, I know where I don’t stand (my rant).

All my beliefs are so because of what I have experienced drowning myself in helping birds, and my desire for whatever is best for them, despite my own desires to cuddle them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment