Friday, February 15, 2013

Anti-Consumerism

"Anti-consumerism is a socio-political ideology opposed to consumerism, which discourages an ever-growing purchasing and consumption of material possessions. Anti-consumerist activists express concern over modern corporations or organizations that pursue solely economic goals at the expense of environmental, social, or ethical concerns; these concerns overlap with those of environmental activism, anti-globalization, and animal-rights activism. One variation on this is the concept of postconsumers, who emphasize moving beyond addictive consumerism"
via wikipedia/anti-consumerism

I'm getting more and more into letting go of this need to buy material, useless crap.
If it doesn't benefit the world around me, I want no part of it. If it's from a faceless conglomerate, I want no part of it.

Yeah, I'd like a new stereo for my car, but the one I have in it now is just fine.
"This game would look better on a bigger TV...", but the one I have is big enough.
"God, that dollfie is beautiful", really that's it's only function - being beautiful, possibly inspirational, but inspiration to what? Maybe figure reference, but there's ton of it online.

True, I currently have frivolous things, but I'm hoping to move forward - letting go.
It's a process that isn't instantaneous, but something to strive for.

I'm planning on going to Metro PCS once my contract with Sprint is up. True I could probably go back to the pay-as-you-go phone, but email and unlimited minutes on my phone helps bird rescue, pay-as-you-go would probably end up costing more.


Maybe if everyone had a cause that aids those beyond themselves, and invest only in things that can better that cause, subsequently bringing themselves joy, the world would be a better place..?
It could be a win-win..!

500$ on a purse? 500$ could provide X, help X, and still leave enough to buy a subway sandwich for you and X.

I still remember Kelly Osbourne flaunting her $250,000 diamond manicure. $250,000?! She blew a 1/4 of a million dollars it in an hour!
This is what's wrong with the world. If only people would realize and move forward in ways to fix what's wrong with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment